06 October 2009

Spies

Spies make great novel fodder, mysterious men and women who take us on exciting journeys.

Growing up I loved reading about 'The Saint'. Leslie Charteris may have written his stories in the 1920s & '30s but they're timeless (the movies didn't do the books justice IMO). So when I came across this I couldn't resist: SIS operational officer test for MI6. I got 8/8 and an apply now link - all my reading must have paid off, and of course as a writer I have to know how to keep a story straight in my head. Just a fun little test, not to be taken too seriously :)

Two most Spy-type novel in my collection:
Luck in the Shadows - Lynn Flewelling
When young Alec of Kerry is taken prisoner for a crime he didn’t commit, he is certain that his life is at an end. But one thing he never expected was his cellmate. Spy, rogue, thief, and noble, Seregil of Rhiminee is many things–none of them predictable. And when he offers to take on Alec as his apprentice, things may never be the same for either of them.
I read and re-read this one and its sequels :)


And Paranoia by Joseph Finder
Corporate espionage a go-go. Corporate Security give Adam Cassidy a choice: prison, or become a spy in the headquarters of their chief competitor.



Plus a few romantic suspense authors that have that same element of danger:
Iris Johnsen, Linda Howard, Julie Garwood, & this one that I read years ago and have never been able to throw out: Hopscotch by Rebecca York

Feel free to share your favourite spy stories (books or movies)?

Music: The Pet Shop Boys
Currently reading: 'Nylon Angel' by Marianne de Pierres
This is only my second foray into cyberpunk and so far it's great fun. I'm not sure I'm 100% convinced on the sub-genre, but I do have the second book in this series lined up :)

5 comments:

Maree Anderson said...

I gotta admit, too chicken to do the spy test... what if I suck? Worse, what if I've missed my true calling? LOL!

Not really a fan of the spy genre when it comes to reading -- too terrifying! But I love watching a good spy movie or series. Spooks is one of my favorites. And the movie version of The Saint starring Val Kilmer.

BTW, I've read all three of the Parrish Plessis books. Loved them! And I won't spoil the story except to say this: it's not a traditional romance by any stretch of the imagination!

Cheers,
Maree

Debra St. John said...

Mnnn, I love spies...well, I love Bond, James Bond.

And I'm a little behind, but I peeked at your old post about "matching" book covers. Too funny. I guess there are only so many images to go around out there.

Kylie Griffin said...

The SIS spy test was a lark - fun and not to be taken too seriously. Thanks for the link Louise.
I did scroll through your posts and was astounded and shocked by the lookalike covers! Some didn't even bother to try and make it look different - how can this be so?

Unknown said...

When I started looking the number of lookalike covers amazed me - what I've posted only scratched the surface

A Muser said...

Love spy movies but have never read any spy novels specifically. Maybe I should broaden my horizons and pick one up.