10 June 2014

Great literary put downs...

The Telegraph is running a fun survey at the moment on what is the greatest literary put-down.

Will Rhett Butler's "My dear, I don't give a damn."

Beat out Mt Darcy's "She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me."

head over and cast your vote here.

The full list:
1. "My dear, I don't give a damn." - Gone With The Wind, Margaret Mitchell - (Character: Rhett Butler)
2. "To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune, Mr Worthing, to lose both looks like carelessness" - The Importance Of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde - (Character: Lady Bracknell)
3. "May your genitals sprout wings and fly away." - Small Gods, Terry Pratchett - (Character: Om - the tortoise)
4. "If you will forgive me for being personal, I do not like your face." - Murder On The Orient Express, Agatha Christie - (Character: Hercule Poirot)
5. "She is tolerable; but not handsome enough to tempt me" - Pride And Prejudice, Jane Austen - (Character: Mr Darcy)
6. "You are the last man in the world I could ever be prevailed upon to marry." - Pride And Prejudice, Jane Austen - (Character: Elizabeth Bennett)
7. "If looks could kill, you'd soon find out that yours couldn't." - After Claude, Iris Owens - (Character: Harriet)
8. "The tartness of his face sours ripe grapes." - Coriolanus, William Shakespeare - (Character: Menenius)
9. "The simplicity of your character makes you exquisitely incomprehensible to me." - The Importance Of being Earnest, Oscar Wilde - (Character: Gwendolen)
10. "I misjudged you... You're not a moron. You're only a case of arrested development." - The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway - (Character: Harvey Stone)
##
There are a few like I like that have been missed from the survey that I rather like. Here are my two favourites. Anything you think is missing?
“I desire that we be better strangers.” - As You Like It, William Shakespeare
Cecily: This is no time for wearing the shallow mask of manners. When I see a spade I call it a spade.
Gwendolen: I am glad to say that I have never seen a spade. It is obvious that our social spheres have been widely different. – The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde


No comments: